So many of our clients are shocked when they find out how long concrete floors can stay looking new with basic maintenance. Whether it’s your garage, patio, walkway, or basement flooring, you want to keep them clean and looking fresh for years to come. The good news is there are many different ways to achieve a clean concrete surface. Concrete flooring does not require as much attention as other flooring options. Below we will look at some of the simple things you can do to keep a durable and clean concrete floor.
First, we want to consider where the floor is located.
- Garage: When you think of your concrete floor in the garage you may wonder how to get rid of those tricky oil stains.
- Outdoor Patios and Walkways: We all love hanging out with friends and family while sitting on the patio or want to show a good first impression with a nice looking walkway to the front door. Outdoor concrete surfaces, as you know are exposed to the elements. You may experience mold build up from years of rain or debris from dirt, trees, and rocks surrounding the area.
- Indoor Concrete (basements, kitchens, and living areas): Concrete indoors has become much more popular over the years. The good news is when you choose to keep the flooring concrete inside it is less exposed to harsh elements. Therefore, they are much easier to care for.
Cleaning and Maintenance:
- Entrance Mats! This may seem like a given but, entrance mats will do wonders for keeping 80% of dirt and debris off your concrete floors. We recommend having a mat and wiping your shoes off at all entry points. Dry soil can work its way into the concrete floor, which is especially true if it has not been sealed because concrete is porous. This may give concrete the appearance of being dirtier than it really is. Which brings us to our second point!
- Sealed Concrete! The best thing you can do for your concrete floors is to seal them. Sealing your concrete floors will prevent dirt from soaking into the concrete as well as creating a dust proof surface! Do you ever walk into your basement or garage and wonder where all that dust is coming from? An unsealed concrete floor! Luckily, this is an extremely easy fix and there are multiple different ways to go about this.
If you are just looking for a simple fix to close the pores in the concrete to create an easier to clean and dust proof flooring this is the option for you. This option requires diamond grinding the concrete to remove any residue such as dirt build up, oil stains, carpet glue, etc. Once that is complete all the dust gets vacuumed and swept up and then multiple coats of sealer are applied to the floor. This option works for commercial facilities, basements, living areas, outdoor surfaces, and garages.
Cleaning after sealer is applied: Now all you need to do is sweep the floor as you would with tile, laminate, or hardwood flooring. We recommend mopping once a week with a non-abrasive cleaner and your floors will keep their clean appearance!
If you are looking to add a little more character to your concrete floors then stained concrete may be just what you have been searching for! This option provides the same benefits as clear sealer while adding to the appearance helping with re-sale value of your home and creating a space that reflects who you are! You can choose colors from earthy browns to modern white and greys all the way to more extravagant colors such as purple or blue. The sky is the limit!
Southern States Refinishing will prep the floor with our diamond grinder to ensure the pores are fully opened for the stain to fully saturate into the concrete. We then apply the stain of your choice and a top coat of sealer to further protect the surface from wear and tear.
Cleaning and maintaining stained concrete floors is as simple as can be. Sweep the floor often to prevent dirt build up and mop, preferably once a week, with a non-abrasive cleaner.
Epoxy is one of the most durable options you can choose from. If you are tying to keep your garage or work space clean we highly recommend this product. It is tough as nails and simple to maintain. Our company has provided this coating in auto galleries as well as chemical plants and it is still standing strong!
Our most popular system for garages is our epoxy flake system. Our other option, which is more popular as an indoor coating for basements or living areas, is our metallic epoxy. Even though it is more popular in these spaces we still do plenty of garages with this extremely durable and beautiful coating.
The prep work is similar to sealing and staining concrete. The concrete is diamond ground to open the pores and ensure the epoxy will create a strong bond to the surface. We then apply your choice of epoxy flake or metallic epoxy and a clear top coat of urethane. These floors are UV resistant, hold up against hot tire pick up, and as you may have guessed, easy to clean!
Just sweep these floors as needed. If you notice any oil on the floor wipe it up with water or a non-abrasive cleaner as soon as possible.
Have you ever been in Home Depot or Lowes and noticed their floors? You may have wondered if you could have that look too. Well, the answer is yes! Polished concrete is achieved by multiple diamond grinding steps to achieve that final shiny appearance. This flooring option is still exposed concrete but, it is still much easier to clean than your bare concrete floors. In the final steps lithium densifier and guard is applied to the concrete to create a long-lasting, dust-proof, and durable surface.
Cleaning polished concrete is a piece of cake. Just like sealer, staining, and epoxy all you need to do is sweep when needed and mop with a non-abrasive cleaner!
- Clean up Stains Quickly! If you notice your car is dripping oil or you spill some on your bare concrete floors you will want to clean it up quickly to keep it from soaking into the concrete. Clean up the excess with a rag or pour some kitty litter on the oil to soak it up. You can then use dish soap and water to scrub up the rest. If you have a coating on your floor you can easily wipe it up with some water or any non-abrasive cleaner. You still want to handle it as soon as you notice the oil spill to make the clean up as easy as possible. If your car is leaking oil you may want to get it checked by your local automotive. If you are in Cumming, Georgia we recommend checking out AJ Auto Plus or Herbert Automotive who has multiple locations throughout Forsyth County.
Hire a Concrete Specialist
If you are considering getting a concrete coating done find a professional near you to ensure it is done correctly. It is very important that the concrete is thoroughly ground for the coating to properly bond to the surface and create a long-lasting floor. Our team would love to help find a solution that best works for your concrete floors and personal needs. Give us a call at 770-355-2453 or fill out our contact sheet!